Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Spock removed these photos from my profile




Spock is a people search site. I just uploaded these two photos to my profile page. Actually, they're digital artwork that I created myself.

Within less than an hour, I got an email from Spock.


[QUOTE]

Spock users have flagged and deleted a picture which you contributed to Steven Streight's search result. Flagging and deletion occurs for a number of reasons. Sometimes it is because information is factually incorrect, sometimes it is because contributions are inappropriate.

For more information please visit our community guidelines here:

http://www.spock.com/
do/pages/community_guidelines


[END QUOTE]


That's the entire email message.

Do you see anything wrong with these images? Offensive? Flagged?

Why would they remove them?

Worse, the email contains no link to a Contact Us If You Think a Mistake Was Made. This is an ill-considered, poorly managed flagging/removal policy.

Plus: you get a limited number images you can upload, and there's no way to delete any images once uploaded. You can't change your mind, delete an image, and replace it with another image.

Check out all my Vaspers photos on Spock.

http://www.spock.com/
Steven-Streight-IbvEH1NN6/pictures

4 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

Removal of these photos appears to be illogical.

That's the problem with most, if not all, implementations of the flag feature - their lack of precision as to why the original person found the image objectionable, or why the site agreed with the original finding.

TRUE said...

Ha! They removed them cuz they're too freakin cool for skule! Especially the first one. I'd like a t-shirt with that on it--as an electronic music maven and innnernet innovator, do you eschew the antiquated art of "merch"?

Anonymous said...

sorry they were deleted. our computer program picks up pictures that may not be of people and may be copyrighted. i think you hit a flag. I'll fix it so that it does not happen in the future.

Jay@spock.com

KathyJ said...

I see that Jay has already commented about the flag that caused the pictures to be deleted. I wanted to let you know that while there are limits to how many pictures you can have on your profile, you are no where near that limit. (I know of people who have over 40 pictures attached to their profiles.) I am wondering if what you hit is not a limit on the number but on the size. It might be worth checking to see if the pictures that are there are larger than they need to be.

You should be able to upload more pictures. If you can't, let me know and I will check with a member of the Development team.

Just my two cents.
Kathy Jacobs, Spock Evangelist

http://www.spock.com/Kathy-Jacobs