Saturday, September 23, 2006

Derrida. blogocombat. blind speech. ghosts. VIDEO

Jacques Derrida is my favorite philosopher and author. He founded the Deconstruction school of analysis and critique. His "Fear of Writing", an excerpt from the Derrida movie, is especially relevant to blogocombat.

Jacques Derrida "Fear of Writing" (3:47)
Writing is more unconscious than sleep. Anxiety after writing a critique.


Jacques Derrida "Speech is Blind" (2:54)
on Echo & Narcissus: "to speak is to not see...Narcissus is blind, because he can see only himself and nothing else." JD. Communication as repeating the Other, reflecting the Other.


Jacques Derrida "The Science of Ghosts" (5:22)
Cinema and psychoanalysis = science of ghosts. Ghosts increase due to communications technology.

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

those videos were freaking awesome! seriously.
I think i will watch them all again before bed.
especially the one about being blind.
and i love french.
I took it in 7th and 8th grade.
i dont remember much.

kathryn koolky said...

those videos were freaking awesome!

seriously.

I think i will watch them all again before bed.

especially the one about being blind.

and i love french.

I took it in 7th and 8th grade.

i dont remember much.

steven edward streight said...

Glad you liked seeing Derrida. I love French too, and my favorite authors are mostly French, Rimbaud, Blanchot, Robbes-Grillet, Roussel, Queaneu, Flaubert, etc.

My favorite novel is "Djinn" by Alain Robbes-Grillet.

Newsandseduction said...

I share your thoughts.

carrie said...

that whole echo and narcissus thing is tres interesant.

i, too, took a year of french my freshman yr of h.s.

i like it.

sometimes i can't make heads or tails of those kaptcha verfi-phrase whatevers. it's like huh?