Tuesday, April 11, 2006

mark kostabi, blogocombat, art ecommerce


{{photo: "Automatic Painting" by Mark Kostabi}}

From "Ask Mark Kostobi" at Art Net.



[QUOTE 1: artistic blogocombat example]


Gee Mark,

With all your gushing about the new Mary Boone artists, you'd think she was paying you. Care to comment on even one artist in another stable? Most of Mary's new breed paint mediocre one-liners with cleverness substituting for true insight. Let 'em buy up, I say. We'll all be asking who was Damien or Inka soon enough!

Best regards, a true collector,

Thomas Brenn


Thomas:

I counted all the non-Mary Boone artists which I commented on in my previous two Artnet columns and the total was 46. Hardly the "not even one" that you wrongly accuse me of. Since you are a blatant liar your credibility for "true insight" was just shot out the window.

Your prediction of someday wondering "who was Damien or Inka" reminds me of what the critic Eleanor Heartney predicted about 12 years ago on national television after calling me "an art whore." She said, "in five years people will be saying, Mark who?"

Heartney, that's H-E-A-R-T-N-E-Y, she used to write for a major art magazine called Arts, that's A-R-T-S. Ask me what it feels like to have the last laugh. I assure you, my allegiance is to Damien and Inka, not Thomas Brenn.


[QUOTE 2: Kostabi's ecommerce advice on passion, focus, and selling art online]

Dear Mark,

At what point in one's career does quitting one's day job become a possibility? Is it monetary? Or will the answer one day shoot out of the sky, striking me like a bolt of lightning? How will I know, Mark?

Jennifer Seymour



Dear Jennifer,

You should have quit your day job yesterday. But today is not too late. All your time should be devoted to art and the things you love doing. But how is this possible when you must eat and pay rent?

In 1982 when I moved to New York as a totally unknown artist, I survived for a year and a half on 25 cent packages of Raman noodles and I was always late paying my $400 a month rent. Visitors to my tiny apartment observed that there were absolutely no signs of traditional domestic comfort, but my paintings covered all the walls. They knew I was totally focused.

I didn't have a "day job," which gives you a false sense of security. I spent all my time making art, visiting galleries and museums and figuring out ways to sell my drawings. Even for five dollars each if I had to. (That's 20 packs of Raman noodles! Twenty meals for a drawing that I made in 20 seconds.) I felt rich because wealth is a state of mind.

I visited the Met almost every day. My suggested donation was one cent and I was surrounded by all that great art and inspiration. I never felt cheap about my "penny to get in" because I know that one day I would donate a major painting. Five years later I gave a lecture at the Met in front of my painting, Requiem (1987), as it hung near Picasso's Portrait of Gertrude Stein and some Max Beckmann masterpieces. I donated Requiem through my then-dealer Ronald Feldman and a collector.

If eBay had existed in 1982 I would never have been late with the rent. You guys have it so much easier. Make 100 quick drawings one afternoon and sell them on eBay for $10 each. Hey, you might even get $100 for some of them. Since you're not famous yet, how will people know to look at your work on eBay? Write a clever description with lots of appealing words that will show up in many categories. Example: "Jennifer Seymour drawing, sexy angel with cat," or "Jennifer Seymour oil painting, portrait of Leonardo DiCaprio."

If you're a devoted, theoretical minimalist type instead of an ingratiating figurative painter, try, "Jennifer Seymour abstract painting, modern decorators dream." Soon you'll build a loyal following who won't be able to wait to get online every night after work and "see more Seymour."

[END QUOTES from "Ask Mark Kostabi"]

10 comments:

Humour and last laugh said...

interesting blog!

steven edward streight said...

Thanks, Krishna, for the comment. Your presence here is appreciated, coming all the way from Nepal.

You are interested in literature? Then you simply must read Alain Robbes-Grillet "Djinn", the best short novel ever written.

Then read Will Self, Proust, Kafka, Arthur Rimbaud, Jacques Derrida, Raymond Roussell, Raymond Queneau "Exercises in Style" (tells a one page story in 100 different ways), and Maurice Blanchot "The Last Man", etc.

chartreuse said...

great post (though you didn't actually write it.) you found it and posted it and that's where the value is.

i agree...it's all so much easier now...people are also lazier.

steven edward streight said...

I rarely do that, post material without any real commentary or analysis or complaining.

Just tired I suppose. Not much I could think to add to it anyway.

People have it easier, but they are also lazier, so it balances out that life is always hard no matter how hard or easy it is technologically.

It's easier to teach a deprived, Spartan, stoic lifestyle person to appreciate and enjoy niceties, than it is to teach a spoiled, pampered brat how to root out intemperate cravings and idiotic whining.

Newsandseduction said...

Thanks for the recommendations. But what about this male female thing in your comment on my blog. Was it serious?

steven edward streight said...

What male? what female? what thing? what comment? what blog?

From Humor and Last Laugh to sunsets of entroublement momentos, tipping toward a thinking? Or tilting against the embryonic stasis?

I nn-1.

noten gone.

noten gone.

noten gone.

steven edward streight said...

I was serious about the difference in American male and female combat.

Men are far more direct, physically aggressive, and confrontational.

Women are far more subtle, mentally vengeful, and working behind the scenes with sabotage and infamy.

Robert Bruce said...

Thanks for this V. Needed it on a Thursday morning...

steven edward streight said...

I'm having a rough Thursday, too.

I cannot seem to get Vaspers blog archives, by month and year listing, to display. I have messed with the template code so much, it's all becoming a blur.

I've had others, web pros, look at the code, and they cannot figure out what's wrong, though they provide sincere suggestions and perhapses, which unfortunately amount to mere ellipses.

So, as it stands now, no one, not even me, has access to any of my posts, aside from the last several.

And you? You mis-typed your site URL as embedded in your name as hyperlink.

;^)

We're all falling apart at the seems.

steven edward streight said...

I may get so disgusted with my much championed Blogger blog, that I exile my sorry butt over to TechRepublic or WordPress, and only the super elite will know how to find me, but I'll be fomenting content avalanches.

You'll know me by the trail of the defeated pseudoblogs dead in the dirt.