Friday, April 21, 2006

Make and host your web page with Google Page Creator


In what seems to be a Web Page version of Google's Blogger/Blogspot service, Google now offers a free web hosting and creation service called Google Page Creator.


[QUOTE]

Google Page Creator is a free online tool that makes it easy for anyone to create and publish useful, attractive web pages in just minutes.

  • No technical knowledge required.
    Build high-quality web pages without having to learn HTML or use complex software.
  • What you see is what you'll get.
    Edit your pages right in your browser, seeing exactly how your finished product will look every step along the way.
  • Don't worry about hosting.
    Your web pages will live on your own site at http://yourgmailusername.googlepages.com
Google Page Creator is a Google Labs project, and is still in an early testing phase. If you're interested in taking it for a test drive, login with your Gmail account to begin making pages. If you don't have a Gmail account and you have a mobile phone, you can sign up here.

[END QUOTE]

Frankly, I'm happy to see this new Google offering, but I'm somewhat underwhelmed. I think the templates are not that attractive. I'll reserve my full usability review for a later date. Go check it out and see what you can do.

I discovered this via John Battelle Search Blog, his post: "Google News".

Google...on the rampage again with non-stop innovation.

;^)

2 comments:

JD. said...

Google pages just seems tacky to me.

Makes me feel all dirty, like when I think about Geocities...uhuuuuu....

steven edward streight said...

I agree. I don't understand why Google would do this. It seems so, yeah, tacky. Lots of usability errors. Very beta, indeed.

I don't even know what anyone would do with this. Like Tripod, Geocities, etc.

I guess you could experiment with it, use it as a testing ground. I guess. ???

I'm as mystified as anyone, but I thought I should let ppl know about it.