Did you know that almost half the blogs that are created are abandoned, contain no further posts, just 3 months after they're started?
Sifry posits this as a positive, by saying that 55% of blogs are still active after 3 months. But I see this as an indication that to be a hardcore blogger, one must have dedication and persistence. A 45% drop off rate is pretty bad. Who knows why almost half the bloggers quit?
Go read the whole interesting article. I display one of Sifry's charts, and the summary, here.
- Technorati now tracks over 35.3 Million blogs
- The blogosphere is doubling in size every 6 months
- It is now over 60 times bigger than it was 3 years ago
- On average, a new weblog is created every second of every day
- 19.4 million bloggers (55%) are still posting 3 months after their blogs are created
- Technorati tracks about 1.2 Million new blog posts each day, about 50,000 per hour